Thursday, July 30, 2009

I'm black and I'm proud!

I don’t know if you saw the discussion about Professor Louis Gates and his “nemesis”, Officer Crowley, sharing a common ancestor. I thought this was amusing.

Professor Henry Louis Gates share the same Irish heritage, both apparently having traced their ancestry back to the famous Irishman “Nial of the Nine Hostages.” Gates was quoted as having said, “I’m descended from a white man. A white man who slept with a black slave. And we know from the analysis of my DNA that ….goes back to Ireland.”

I chuckled about this because it reminded me of the 1991 film “The Commitments”, in which the film’s protagonist, an Irish singer named Jimmy Rabbitte, wants to form a band that plays American rhythm and blues music. When he is trying to explain his concept for the band, he says:

“Do you not get it, lads? The Irish are the blacks of Europe. And Dubliners are the blacks of Ireland. And the Northside Dubliners are the blacks of Dublin. So say it once, say it loud: I'm black and I'm proud.”

So, don’t you see? Gates and Crowley are both Black and White…Now why can’t we all just get along?

No comments: